We stock a core range of Thermocouple cables that are all designed and manufactured in our own factory in the UK. Explore our selected products below. We can also build a bespoke solution if you require something very specific, which is not specified below. Click on the cable links below to see our full product range for each:
Thermocouple cables and extension wires allow the accurate and electronic measurement of temperature and have numerous industrial applications in specialist and extreme environments.
They generally comprise two strands of conductor made of different metals, one being the positive conductor and the other the negative conductor. The two dissimilar metals in the thermocouple cable are electrically joined at the sensing point. When heated the metals produces a thermoelectric charge (Electro Motive Force, or EMF), which changes as the temperature increases or decreases. The EMF (measured in millivolts) that arises is proportional to the temperature difference between the two conductors at the sensing point.
Different temperature applications require different metal conductors, different jacketing/sheathing materials and different calibration. Thermocouple cables are therefore available in a broad range of combinations of conductor, jacketing and calibration. Each pair calibrated to suit a different temperature range and environment. The most common types are manufactured to IEC Specifications J, K, T, N and IEC colour Codes. They are also available in many other local colour codes.
The diameter of conductor used also plays an important part. Generally larger diameter conductors can withstand higher temperatures and are more durable, but have a slower response time than smaller diameter conductors.
Typically, both conductors are insulated then laid or twisted together and finally over-sheathed or over-braided.
We stock a core range of Thermocouple cables that are all designed and manufactured in our own factory in the UK.
Explore our selected products below. We can also build a bespoke solution if you require something very specific, which is not specified below.
- Temperature range required
- Chemical resistance of the sheath material
- The environment or atmosphere the cable will be exposed to – metals react differently in different environments even at similar temperatures
- Space available and method of installation
- Dissimilar conductors within a single cable
- Insulation types include; PFA, FEP, PTFE or Polyimide
- Choice of conductor combinations according to temperature range and application
- Conductor alloys include; Copper, Constantan, Nickel Chromium, Nickel Aluminium, Iron, Nicrosil, Nisil & Cupronic
- Available as twisted pair, multi-core, flat twin or single shot constructions
- Colour coded insulation for ease of identification
- Excellent resistance to chemicals, oils and lubricants
- Wide temperature performance
- Can be manufactured to meet requirements of BS 60584-2, BS 4937-30, American ANSI MC96.1 & ASTM E230, German DIN, French NFC, Japan JIS, British BS1843 and IEC 60584-1
- Connecting Thermcouple sensors to devices
- Instrumentation & control
- Temperature measurement
- Chemical measurement
Not sure what you need?
We can help
We have the expertise and the manufacturing capabilities to help you design bespoke cable solutions made to your own specification.